When Your Client's Capacity is in Doubt. How can I help and what do I need to know?
This session will consider key ethical and legal obligations of professionals when they suspect that their client may have some mental capacity challenges. It will provide a legal overview of capacity law in Canada and suggest tips for practice in working with these clients.
- recognizing the 'triggers' of possible mental capacity challenges
- understanding the difference between plenary capacity and decisional capacity - from 'all or nothing' to 'capacity for what'?
- understanding common myths about age and incapacity
- learning techniques to better support the client's capacity
- understanding the importance of note taking
- identifying some ethical challenges within key professions
Step 1: RESOURCE MATERIAL. Click Below to download and review support material:
Step 2: FEATURE COURSE PRESENTATION:
Step 3: VALUE-ADDED CLIENT RESOURCES:
When you access the Maturity Matters Newsletters through the Member Benefits area, you will have access to the pdf version referenced below, as well as an HTML version of each newsletter that merges YOUR contact information into the Newsletter Banner to help promote YOU to YOUR clients and community.
Maturity Matters Newsletter: Cognitive Health — Life Long Learning
Maturity Matters Newsletter: Cognitive Reserve — Can We Beat Biology?
Maturity Matters Newsletter: The Next Ism — Ageism
Step 4: REVIEW THE QUIZ INSTRUCTIONS AND TIPS. The option to start the quiz will not be available until you complete the module presentation.
To load the quiz, you must 'Refresh' this page after completing the Feature Presentation lesson. To Refresh the page, click on the F5 key or click on the reload symbol to the right of the address bar. Remember -- the quiz will not be available to load until you have viewed the full presentation.
5 questions associated with this module will be downloaded.
You must receive a score of at least 75% (4/5 questions answered correctly) to successfully complete this module.
If you do not achieve a score of 75% with your first try, don't worry, as you will be given the opportunity to retry the quiz, and another set of 5 questions will be made available to you.
Since the questions are selected randomly from a pool of questions, some of the questions may or may not be the same as the previous quiz.
You will notice that once you have completed a question, the correct answer will be highlighted in green, and any incorrect selection that was made will be highlighted in pink.
- Although we wanted to create reasonably challenging questions, we did not intend to create 'trick' questions. If it feels like a trick question to you -- please re-read the question carefully and ask yourself what fact or concept is being questioned.
- This is NOT a timed quiz. Take all the time you need to consider the question and make your best selection.
- Be attentive to questions asking which statement is NOT correct, or if all statements are correct EXCEPT.
- If you have read the question carefully, your first impression of the correct answer is usually the right choice to make.
Smile and Relax! We have provided you with every opportunity to do well.