Inter-jurisdictional Issues - When common law is not so common
The majority of issues raised in "elder law" in Canada are different in each province / territory. However, many Canadians hold property, visit family, or retire to other jurisdictions. Our laws are jurisdictionally bound, but our clients are not! This seminar will focus broadly on challenges to inter-jurisdictional clients, and then will focus on good practice in the area of planning documents, such as financial powers of attorney and advance care planning.
- recognizing the challenges of addressing aging issues that are impacted by both federal and provincial legislation
- understanding the advantages and disadvantages of having more than one set of documents
- awareness of how inter-jurisdictional issues can give rise to elder abuse
- myth-busting common misconceptions regarding jurisdictional issues and advance planning documents
Step 1: Click the DIGITAL WORKBOOK Button to launch the new online notes tool that you can access and take notes while you are working in the module. You can drag and position this notepad next to the module presentation. When you are done you can print or send your notes to Word. For Foundation Course registrants, this tool replaces the need to print the Workbook PDF. Click Here for more info
Step 2: Resource Material. Click Below to download and review support material:
Step 3: Feature Presentation. Click on ‘Launch’ to load the module presentation:
Step 4: Review the Quiz Instructions and Tips. The option to start the quiz will not be available until you complete the module presentation.
To load the quiz, you must 'Refresh' this page after completing the Feature Presentation lesson. To Refresh the page, click on the F5 key or click on the reload symbol to the right of the address bar. Remember -- the quiz will not be available to load until you have viewed the full presentation.
5 questions associated with this module will be downloaded.
You must receive a score of at least 75% (4/5 questions answered correctly) to successfully complete this module.
If you do not achieve a score of 75% with your first try, don't worry, as you will be given the opportunity to retry the quiz, and another set of 5 questions will be made available to you.
Since the questions are selected randomly from a pool of questions, some of the questions may or may not be the same as the previous quiz.
You will notice that once you have completed a question, the correct answer will be highlighted in green, and any incorrect selection that was made will be highlighted in pink.
- Although we wanted to create reasonably challenging questions, we did not intend to create 'trick' questions. If it feels like a trick question to you -- please re-read the question carefully and ask yourself what fact or concept is being questioned.
- This is NOT a timed quiz. Take all the time you need to consider the question and make your best selection.
- Be attentive to questions asking which statement is NOT correct, or if all statements are correct EXCEPT.
- If you have read the question carefully, your first impression of the correct answer is usually the right choice to make.
Smile and Relax! We have provided you with every opportunity to do well.